• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

XML error messages

hopmill

Apprentice
Reaction score
I exported 8 recipes to Beer XML format, only one is error free. . I am trying to upload to a competion entry form and it keeps telling me an error on a different line on every recipe. The others show this error or similar.

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The operation completed successfully. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Users/Todd/Documents/Red Ale.xml'. Line 235, P...

<EXAMPLES>North Coast Red Seal Ale, Tr&ouml;egs HopBack Amber Ale, Deschutes Cinder Cone Red, Pyramid Broken Rake...
ss="b">  <SUPPLIER />
  <NOTES>Malty-sweet flavor characteristic and adds a slight orange color to the beer. Does not contribute signficantly to body or head retention. Use for: Bock, Porter, Marzen, Oktoberfest beers</NOTES>
  <COARSE_FINE_DIFF>2.8000000</COARSE_FINE_DIFF>
  <MOISTURE>5.0000000</MOISTURE>

Hi,
  Do you have build 42 available here?
  http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5649.0.html

There were bugs in earlier versions that caused some problems.

Brad

Yes I do. I am editing the language in word pad. The issue seams to be a couple of goofy letters and a semi colon inserted in the script here is an example

<INGREDIENTS>Pale ale malt, American hops (usually Northern Brewer, rather than citrusy varieties), small amounts of toasted malt and/or crystal malts. Lager yeast, however some strains (often with the mention of &ldquo;California&rdquo; in the name) work better than others at the warmer fermentation temperatures (55 to 60&deg;F) used. Note that some German yeast strains produce inappropriate sulfury character. Water should have relatively low sulfate and low to moderate carbonate levels.</INGREDIENTS>

Here is another file same issue always seams to be under style somewhere.

<STYLE>
<NAME>American Amber Ale</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<CATEGORY>American Ale</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY_NUMBER>10</CATEGORY_NUMBER>
<STYLE_LETTER>B</STYLE_LETTER>
<STYLE_GUIDE>BJCP 2008</STYLE_GUIDE>
<TYPE>Ale</TYPE>
<OG_MIN>1.0450000</OG_MIN>
<OG_MAX>1.0600000</OG_MAX>
<FG_MIN>1.0100000</FG_MIN>
<FG_MAX>1.0150000</FG_MAX>
<IBU_MIN>25.0000000</IBU_MIN>
<IBU_MAX>40.0000000</IBU_MAX>
<COLOR_MIN>10.0000000</COLOR_MIN>
<COLOR_MAX>17.0000000</COLOR_MAX>
<CARB_MIN>2.3000000</CARB_MIN>
<CARB_MAX>2.8000000</CARB_MAX>
<ABV_MAX>6.0000000</ABV_MAX>
<ABV_MIN>4.5000000</ABV_MIN>
<NOTES>http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.html#1bLike an American pale ale with more body, more caramel richness, and a balance more towards malt than hops (although hop rates can be significant). Known simply as Red Ales in some regions, these beers were popularized in the hop-loving Northern California and the Pacific Northwest areas before spreading nationwide.</NOTES>
<PROFILE>Can overlap in color with Am pale ales.  However, Am amber ales differ from Am pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, &amp; usually being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness. Should not have a strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an American brown ale (although small amounts OK</PROFILE>
<INGREDIENTS>Pale ale malt, typ Am two-row. Medium to dark crystal malts. May contain specialty grains which add character and uniqueness. Am hops, often w citrusy flavors, are common but others may also be used. Water can vary in sulfate &amp; carbonate content.</INGREDIENTS>
<EXAMPLES>North Coast Red Seal Ale, Tr&ouml;egs HopBack Amber Ale, Deschutes Cinder Cone Red, Pyramid Broken Rake, St. Rogue Red Ale, Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale, Lagunitas Censored Ale, Avery Redpoint Ale, McNeill&#39;s Firehouse Amber Ale, Mendocino Red Tail Ale, Bel</EXAMPLES>
<DISPLAY_OG_MIN>1.045 SG</DISPLAY_OG_MIN>

Brad,
It seems to happen under style guidelines in all the language and appears  where ever an apostrophe or quotes are used. Is it a bug in the software? the worst was ESB  with Fuller's  written in five places among others.

Fyi, hopmill, see this other thread where I posted the cause of the bug: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5764.0.html
(It exists in 42 beta too, just checked).

Thanks,
  I'm looking at providing an option to export the special characters in a different manner.  Perhaps simply export them as #hex codes or the ISO code instead.

Brad

Back