• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is there a way to download new ingredients?

Hibs06

Brewer
Reaction score
I am trying to build a new wheat recipe and noticed that my grain inventory does not include red wheat.  Is there a way to download new ingredients into Beer Smith?  I know I can add them on my own, but I'd rather be able to download a larger amount of ingredients.

Hi,
  A large number of vendor specific grains are available from the "Add-ons" button.  Click on the "add-on" button and install the ones you need.

Brad

Really late to this party, but this seemed like the best place to respond rather than starting a new thread.

You can find Red Wheat in the Breiss Add On.  But, it's really not necessary.  The difference between Red Wheat and standard Wheat Malt, Bel is very small.  The Wheat is 2.0 SRM, the Red Wheat is 2.3 SRM, but every thing else is the same.  However, even that SRM difference is probably undetectable.  Using 15 lbs of Wheat Malt with just a single ounce of Crystal 120 has the same color impact as building your recipe with the Red Wheat profile data.  That's how small the difference is.

According to some professional brewers I spoke with, they tend to use Red Wheat more often because it gives the beer a little more mouthfeel, a little more breadiness, and slightly better head retension without any real change to the color.

Maybe that is because wheat malt is red wheat malt.

Back