• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New Home Brewer in South Africa

MarkB

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am a new home brewer in SA. I have done 2 brews, the first a full kit and the second using unmalted extract, crystal malt and hops during the boil. Both have manifested an "apples" taste at the end of brewing. I still have to bottle the second brew.I have been told that the taste is due to the beer being young (or green). Can I expect the taste to disappear after a lengthy bottle conditioning?
Regards
Mark

Hello from the states.........Generally off flavors like this can be attributed to your fermentation temperatures, if doing ales you want to be around 65F, if the temps get too high the off flavors come in. I brewed a steam beer and had an issue keeping the fermentation low enough for the lager yeast and we wound up with a little too much fruity Esther, it has dissipated over time but still is noticeable. If you google off flavors in beer there is quite a bit of info out there on off flavors in beer and what generally causes each one, good luck!

Back