• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hopefully not a dumb question:BatchSize

mbg

Master Brewer
Reaction score
O.K. I've been brewing for about 12 years now. Have started AG (four batches) about 6 months ago and purchased BeerSmith to help me out.

I was looking over the data for my last two batches, of which I built the grain bills for and crushed my own grain, and became concerned about the "BatchSize."

From my data that I put into BeerSmith I originally thought this value was for the volume of wort put into the primary -or- is it the volume you expect to rack into you dispensing keg (i.e. primary volume less about 1 gal. due to beer lost during two rackings)?

(In my case after my batch sparge I started with about 7.5gal of wort into the boiler, ended up with 6 gal. in my primary, and a little over 5 gal into my keg after racking from my secondary. I used 6 gal. as my batch size. Was this correct?)

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, you have it correct. The batch size is in primary. It uses this value to calculate grain bills etc.

Danno

Thanks for the help - into the primary # makes more sense also.

Mike

I do not believe that batch size accounts for losses between the kettle and the primary.  I think batch size should be Target into the fermenter plus losses in transfer from the kettle.  Batch size for sure will not account for losses from a large hop addition with whole hops.

Brad?  

Fred

yep, you're right Fred. I forgot to mention that. Your batch size should be the amount of cooled wort left in the kettle.

Danno

Back