• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using Beersmith on 2 different computers

nate456789

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is is possible to use and maintain beersmith 2 inventories and recipes on 2 different computers?
I work out of a drop box folder that synchronizes with my main computer and my work computer.
Is it possible to maintain my inventory and add recipes and have both computers be up to date?
Thanks

Hi,
  The inventory is in the individual ingredient files (grains, hops, etc)...

Dropbox or a shared drive might work if you are really careful with it - as two copies running at the same time will overwrite each other.

I am starting work on a internet based synchronization service - but it will be a few months before it is complete.

Brad

Great.
Thanks for getting back. This shouldn't be a problem because I only use one computer at a time and the app shouldn't be open in both places.
I love the changes in the new version so far.
Thanks

BeerSmith said:
  I am starting work on a internet based synchronization service - but it will be a few months before it is complete.

Can't wait for this feature!! I to have a work PC which I use to create some receipts while I'm bored at work and then I have a brew-day netbook I use, it's a pain to make sure you Export/Import between the two but works for now....thanks for the great product

I'd love to see some sort of sync via "The Cloud" and then sharing of info with mobile device such as iPad, iPhone, Android.

OK so Last Friday at work I re arranged some folders in beersmith and then updated my Inventory and added some equipment profiles.
This was on Win7.
Made sure everything was closed. Then at home I opened it up on my Mac. I did not have Prompt to save set up on the mac. When I opened it up it looked like it was previously and not what I had changed at work. So I am assuming my changes were overwritten at home.
Went to dropbox and rolled back the currently changed files back to the last file version modified at work.
Recipes and everything looked like at work, except the equipment profile didn't have any changes from work.
Gave up on trying to find the right file and just recreated my equipment. Added some more recipes and made a shopping list.

Came into work Monday Morning. I get the following error that is attached every time I open Beersmith2. Everything is in there tho as I last left it from home.
Recipes, Shopping list, Equipment profile and inventory.

This error occurs before the splash screen. So I am assuming it is trying to load an initial config file. Is there a file I can restore and have this go away?
Should I send you one of my config files?
Thought this might help you with your online sync project. You're probably going to run into this eventually.

Attachments

• 10-24-2011 10-02-07 AM.gif
    10-24-2011 10-02-07 AM.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 474
Brad
I know you are a busy guy. Can you point me in the right direction for the start up config file that might be a little bonkers?
I have figured out what got me into this .
Drop box is delayed in syncing. So when I fire up the Mac and open beersmith, it doesn't have the latest files yet.
Now that I figured that out my stuff is staying synced. But I still get the error message from wxWidgets framework.
Thanks

Hi,
  The nuclear option is to rename your BeerSmith2 data directory (or just empty it completely - saving a copy somewhere else) and then start the program.  This will force BeeerSmith to recreate everything.  Then you can go back and open your saved copies to copy/paste the recipes and other data back in.

However - based on the message you provided I would suggest try deleting these two files first:
    BSCols.BX2 and BSCols.BXX

The message you provided indicates it might be a problem with the custom fields (either custom columns or custom fields in design view) which are stored in these two files.

Brad

BSCols.BX2 was the culprit.
Deleted it and opened the app and all is fine again.
Bit odd that that file is bad. I started to make a custom report the other night to see what it was all about and cancelled at the create dialog.
May or may not be related. Could have just been the Sync issue.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
  If it happens again please email me a copy of the BSCols.BX2 file before you delete it.  I would like to run it with the debugger here since I've had trouble duplicating the problem.

Brad

Thanks,
  Someone did send the file along and I was able to correct the bug for the next build.  I'm hoping to get it out fairly quick as there were one or two bugs like this one that caused crashes for some users.

Brad

Back