• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

90 minute boil in a brew kettle too small

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am moving from a 60 to a 90 minute boil for my next batch.  I brew ten gallon batches in a converted keg.

Beersmith would like me to have a preboil volume of 15.25 gallons.  My kettle is around 16 gallon capacity I believe.  That gives me very little room for boil over issues.

Could I just begin the boil with, oh, 14 gallons and add the rest as it will fit?

Relax, have a homebrew.  I'd do it if the other option is not to brew.  What could go wrong?  So it's not perfect to the recipe, it will still taste great!

Beer_Tigger said:
Relax, have a homebrew.  I'd do it if the other option is not to brew.  What could go wrong?  So it's not perfect to the recipe, it will still taste great!

Come flameout I will be hoisting the pale ale currently on tap.

This is what I am going to do.

1)  Double sparge.
2)  Add about 12-13 gallons to the boil kettle and begin boiling.
3)  Place enough sparged wort into another kettle that would, when added to the boil kettle equal 15.25 gallons.
4)  Heat that wort close to boiling.  Or, any temp I am comfortable with safely moving around.
5)  Add that secondary kettle contents to the Boil Kettle whenever I am able to fit some in.

I will make certain that all the wort is combined and boiling for my 15 minute hop addition.

If you are worried about boil-overs I recommend Fermtap.  I put 10-12 drops in as the wort is heating up and yet to have a boil over incident. 

Mark

merfizle said:
If you are worried about boil-overs I recommend Fermtap.  I put 10-12 drops in as the wort is heating up and yet to have a boil over incident. 

Mark

TY Mark.  I will pick some up.  Will the Fermtap work even if I am 3/4 of a gallon away from total capacity?

Yeah, I've had a 7 gallon boil going in my 7.5 gallon pot and it was fine.  Just put 10-12 drops per five gallons, stir it in and you should be golden.

mark

Or you could boil a gallon on the stove let it cool and just use that as top up at the end. I boil 7 gallons in a 7.5 and I usually go for the full boil rather than top up... Oh and its called Fermcap.

I ended up having a great brew day.

I sparged using two sparges.  I added the first and most of the second sparge to the Boil kettle.  I got that to a boil.  Meanwhile, I heated the rest of the total needed for the volume and added it to the boil kettle when I could.

Worked fine.  Thanks for the help people.

+1 on Fermcap it is my new best friend.  ;D
It also works in the Fermenter to keep the head under control.  It works by breaking the surface tension and keeps the bubbles from forming.  (or at least not as many.)

David

I haven't noticed any change.  I was told to use it by a professional brewer and it is sold in large quantities by the commercial brewing supply houses.

Based on that, I say no it does effect head retention.

David

Over-the-counter "gas relief" medicines use the same active ingredient (Dimethylpolysiloxane or Simethicone) and could probably be safely substituted if you are unable to locate the commercial Fermcap product.

Back