• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

high gravity beer in a smaller mash/lauter tun?

Johnnyv42

Brewer
Reaction score
In about 8 days I want to make a high gravity beer, >1.100 (~10% ABV), I've got good yeast for it, but my 5 gallon mash tun will not hold the 20lbs of grain I need to make this beer. At best it'll hold 12, maybe 13 lbs of grain. What's the best way to get the additional gravity? Do I just add DME to the boil pot?

Thanks

That or any sugar like beet, candy, etc.  Beware using too much candy or beet sugar as it can really thin out the body and create a cider-like taste.

Mark

I can usually fit 14 lbs. of grain in my 5 gal mash tun.  If it is straight base malt you should be able to reach 1.075 at least with a longer boil, but DME is probably the best way to get up to 1.100.  I don't know how many lbs. you would have to add to the boil though, probably at least 2?

Make a smaller batch. Aim for 3 gallons and you should get close to your target gravity with the smaller grain bail.

Back