• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun capacity

A

Argyll

I've got my equip set up in Beersmith - a 60qt cooler with SS hose braid.

Just put in a 10g recipe that has 32 lbs of grain (!). The brewsheet says to mash in with 10g of water.

I don't think all of that is going to fit in my cooler. Do I have something set up incorrectly?

Nope,
 If you estimate 1.25 qts per pound of grain (which is normal) this results in 40 quarts of water needed or 10 gallons!

You might be able to cut the water to grain ratio down a bit, but if you go much below 1.0 qts/lb it will be very thick.

Cheers!
Brad

I frequently put 27-28 pounds in a 10 gal (40 qt) Igloo cooler,  At 60 qts you should have no problem.

Fred

I have trouble visualizing how 10g of water and over 30 lbs of grist can fit in a 15g cooler.

I scaled the recipe back to 8g which I think will work.

Fill a jar full of grain,  Really full,  

now scroll down

Now fill with water,  
The water will fill the spaces between the grain,  

Does that help you visualize it?

Fred

Imagine your grain as a giant sponge sitting at the bottom of your cooler. This sponge will soak up close to 3 gals of liquid, now you are only dealing with 7 gals of actual water. I have done 22 lbs of grain with 8.5 gals of water in a 45qt cooler with no problems. at 60 qts you should be just fine.

Back