• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sweet Stout and Milk Stout Recipes

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
How to brew sweet/milk stout:
  http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2011/11/03/sweet-stout-and-milk-stout-recipes/

Cheers,
Brad

I found that mashing lower increases the perception of sweetness. The addition of unfermentables takes care of the body and gravity.
When I went to AG I started out using the highest mash temperature. Someone suggested I go lower because of the above and my mentions that it didn't seem "sweet". I tried it and it does taste sweeter. The FG difference I've seen from mash temperatures hasn't been that great (a point here and there per level).
Sounds counter intuitive but that's what works out best for me and I brew it enough to have tweaks on hand to compare to.

I also use maltodextrine so I don't have to worry about giving it to someone who's lactose intolerant.

Thanks for the tip - I could see how a cleaner beer might bring out the flavor of the maltodextrine more strongly.

Brad

yeah that is strange and seems a bit backwards, as higher mash temps allows for more body via residual sugars..whereas lower mash temps gives a drier beer..

HolyFirkins said:
yeah that is strange and seems a bit backwards, as higher mash temps allows for more body via residual sugars..whereas lower mash temps gives a drier beer..

Here is how it was explained/justified to me.

The higher mash creates sugars that are less fermentable but they don't taste sweet. You're already adding those in the form of maltodextrine or lactose (especially me using maltodextrine).
The lower mash creates sugars that taste sweet but they don't contribute the body.

Because you won't get the body mashing either way you're adding unfermentables, create the sweet sugars for the taste and use the addition to get the body.

The one I have in the fermenter was mashed at 148° and the last I checked it was sticking around 1.019.

nice, thats a good explanation. i just brewed a milk stout on monday, and i mashed at 152, which technically isnt on the conventional side of a milk stout mash temp, but it isnt light body either..i'll let you know how it comes out!

Back