• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Temp of mash tun

Prymal

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am a newish BIAB brewer and just got BeerSmith 2. I am trying to figure out what vaule to enter into the "Mash Tun Temperature" field on the "Mash Details" tab of my recipe. The logical thing would be to enter your target strike water temp because the "tun" will be heating up to the same temp as the water in it. The issue is I have have over shot my rest temp and undershot my rest temp a few times by doing this.

I think I might be answering my own question with another question now. Since I have both under and over shot my question is what is the proper time frame to mix the grains at dough in? Maybe I spent too long when I undershot and didn't spend enough time when I overshot.

The temp setting is what iss the temp of the equipment before you start (usually room temperature).  Then select Adjust For Equip Temp and the program adjusts the water temp to bring it up so it can heat up the equipment to the starting temp.

For time of dough in I usually place the water in the tun and then slowly add the grain and stir at the same time until fully mixed, then after about 15 minutes I go back in and give a good stir to prevent hot spots but I do not really calculate an exact amount of time

Back