• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain Absorbtion

D

Dan Holmes

I just downloaded your program. What a great piece of software. The interface makes ProMash look like 1985! Now my only request is an OS X version...or maybe one that runs with Java???

I have a couple of quick questions:

1. Is it possible to adjust the ratio that BeerSmith uses for Grain Absorbtion?

2. Why does the BrewSheet have a step that says "add water to acheive boil volume of x.xx gal"? Shouldn't you already have the correct amount in the kettle based on BeerSmith's calculations?

3. Do I need to change my equipment selection for a 10 gallon batch (even if I am using the same equipment as when I do a 5?). The final volume under Boiler would need to be 10 not 5...right?

Thanks so much for a great product!

Dan

I can help answer number 2. for ya. Once the gravity of your runnings hit 1.008-1.009 you should stop sparging. If you haven't hit your volume and your kettle gravity is high enough then you can add water to hit your pre-boil volume.

Once you get your sparging and system down you should be close to 1.008 right when you hit your volume.

Thanks shw. Where does the 1.008-1.009 gravity come from? Am I taking the reading from the kettle after the first runoff?

Dan,
 1. No the absorbtion can't be adjusted, though the volume per kg of grain can be set in the advanced tab on the options dialog.

2. shw answered this.

3. Yes, but you can easily set up one equipment profile for 10 gallon batches and one for 5 gallon batches.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks Brad. Can you answer the question I posed to shw regarding gravity?

Dan,
 Its not from the program, but this is a reasonable guideline for those who measure runoff gravity to determine when to stop sparging.  You would want to go a little higher for a high gravity beer though.

Cheers!
Brad

Back