• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 question on Sparge

jkerulusmc

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I normally batch sparge and noticed that when setting up options for the sparge there is a box that you can check that states that you drain the mash tun before sparging (isn't that how you batch sparge?) that when checked reduces the actual amount of sparge water by a gallon.

Of course I havent checked this box in the past and have always drained before adding sparge water and ended up with extra water in the tun after I reached my pre boil amount. I have always wondered why?

Should I check the box and go with less water? Any of you who use Brew Smith and Batch Sparge how is your potions set up?

That box is checked if you drain the tun before adding your sparge water.  I checked it once when I made a 10 gallon batch so I would have sufficient room for my sparge water.

Mark

Back