• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast book

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I took my copy of Yeast on a trip this week and finally read a good piece of it.  It's very informative and I've picked up some tips I will use. 

Im about 1/2 way through and its very good, simplifys a complicated subject

After reading , one tip is leaving the beer to sit and let the yeast clean up after itself ,,,I now use the secondary for cleaner yeast cell with a better bottles

I had to chime in and add that this book has completely changed the way I look at what I thought was one of the lesser ingredients in beer. A real eye-opener. Some of my upcoming recipes no longer contain a secondary fermentation step, even the porter that's sitting in my primary as I type will never see the inside of my secondary!

are you referencing, "Yeast - The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation" by Chris White?

To each his own!  I know my beers taste better when transferring off yeast cake after 6-7 days and doing secondary for 7-14 days.

IMO.

Mark

I'm doing a little experiment.  I split a batch, one is still in primary, a week shy of one month. The other I transferred to secondary last week.  I will bottle them both next week and let them condition for another two weeks and then compare.

Awesome, I can't wait to hear about this. Just finished Gordon Strong's book and he was pretty sure you would taste autolysis if you let it sit.

Back