• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash efficiency when batch sparging big beers

merfizle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I found this old thread and had a couple of questions. 

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,182.msg597.html#msg597

I normally get about 72% mash efficiency for beers 1.070 and lower.  I'm planning on a big beer for Extreme Beerfest that will have an OG of 1.090.  According to the above thread I  should lower my efficiency and was planning on dropping that to 60%.  Normally, I open the mash drain valve 100% since I'm doing batch sparging.  Would it help efficiency if I did a hybrid sparge and slowly lautered like fly sparging?  Also, wouldn't doing a second sparge rinse the rest of the sugars?  Granted, preboil would be larger but I could increase my boil time.  Could hybrid sparging aka doing a second sparge like this be included in the next release of Beersmith?

Thanks.

Mark

I typically do not change the efficiency numbers for bigger beers because what I find with my system is that I end up with my target volume before the runnings get down too that magic 1.010 area. I have started to do a triple batch sparge and it does seem to help but my guess would be that the only way to know for sure is to experiement with your setup.

Back