• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changes to brewsheet

H

hfheard

Is there a way to change the preprogramed instructions on the brewsheet?  For example, if I want to edit a step like this: "Cool wort to fermentation temperature" to "Cool wort to 80 degrees".  I ask this because I use an acquarium air pump and stone to aerate the wort and I do this for about 60 minutes, during which this time, the wort will finish cooling to the fermentation temperature.  This way, I can monitor the descending temp .  In addition, I like to "tweak" and would like to be able to add the odd step here and there.

Hi,
 No there is no way to modify the brewsheet on the current version.

I would like to make the brewsheet like the other reports in the future and use a template file so they can be modified.  However, for the moment you can't edit it (unless you want to export it as HTML and then edit it).

Cheers!
Brad

I suppose I study this forum TOO much, but I surely learn a lot from all the practical experiences.  Therefore, I ask aquestions.  

If I'm not mistaken, and referencing several sources, one must be very careful with "hot side aeration".  Aereate after the wort is cooled and the yeast is pitched.  

In addition and depending on the malt and characteristics of the malt, Dave Miller's book says that pale brewer's malt contains substantial amounts of SSM and DMSO that are changed to DMS.  When the boiling of wort ceases, so does the expulsion of DMS, but will continue to form as long as the wort is hot.  (Dave Miller's Home Brewing Guide, 1995, pp. 134, 283.)
:)

I cool the wort to 80 degrees first, THEN aerate.  After about an hour of aeration, it finishes cooling to about 75 degrees, upon which I pitch the yeast.

I aerate while cooling.  I take the full bucket of ice from my ice maker (which is filtered too), put it in the bottom of my bucket (plastic), dump the wort onto it.  The wort crashing around the ice pile really does a great job adding Oxygen to it, cools it down to about 75 in less than 30 seconds, and brings my batch size up to about 4 gallons.  Then I add more water to bring to 5 gal.  I'm pitching the yeast in about 5 minutes.

Back