• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Setting correct equipment profile

Chad Chaney

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am an extract brewer using a 3 gallon pot, but I only fill it halfway or so to brew with, what is the proper way to set up my equipment profile?

This should be close assuming you want a 5 gallon batch and want to bottle approximately 2 cases of 12 oz bottles.  Just enter the boil-off you normally see.

Mark

Attachments

• Brew pot - 3 gallon.bsmx
    1.3 KB · Views: 189
That does not seem right to me at all, I do not boil that little amount, or top off with 4 gallons of water, if I set ti up this way, wont that then alter my recipes?  I usually boil at least 2.5 gallons..

If you choose the "Brew Pot  (3 Gallon)" from the equipment list, I have found that you will need to modify the "Top Up Water" value to "2.8".  This will give you a preboil volume of 2.51 gallons.  You might have to adjust the boil off numbers to reflect the amount of wort you actually loose during your boil.  My best advice would be to take a recipe that you have brewed in the past and enter it into BeerSmith.  Then make the adjustments to the equipment so that it reflects what your real world numbers show.  In my experience, don't be surprised if you have to tweak and adjust things a couple times before it is all said and done.

Chad Chaney said:
That does not seem right to me at all, I do not boil that little amount, or top off with 4 gallons of water, if I set ti up this way, wont that then alter my recipes?  I usually boil at least 2.5 gallons..

But you said you have a 3 gallon pot and fill it 1/2 way?  That's why I put 1.5 gallon boil.  I guess we need more information on what your process is along with batch size, etc.

Mark

Ah, you are correct, I mis-spoke, I usually fill the pot with about 2.5 gallons so I have room for hops, DME, etc.  My bad.  I will messa round with the numbers some more too.  thanks for all the help.  If I want to end up with 5 gallons to keg, I should probably change my batch size to at least 5.5 gallon then huh?

I agree, 5.5gal is what I'd shoot for as well. That way you get a full 5gal in the keg.

Back