• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Negative Sparge Volume

imgsl57

Apprentice
Reaction score
Designing a recipe.  In the mash tab, I have a negative sparge volume and I can't edit it, and figure out what I need to change to fix it.  In the water volume tab, I likewise can't edit much of anything.  Please help before I throw laptop out the window. Thanks

Double click on mash step in mash tab and check mash water.  What does BS have for preboil?

Mark

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry, I'm not sure I'm giving you what you want but it's all I can find. There's one mash in step shown.  It says add 15.79 quarts of water at 163.7 degrees.

Other settings:

There's a box on the upper left below mash details that says 2 step batch sparge (drain mash tun, , 1.22 gall) at 168 deg.
On the water volume tab/page, it says total water needed is 9.03 gallons.  Total mash water is 3.95 gallon.

Thanks for the help (and sorry about the throwing the laptop out the window comment. tough brew day yesterday with equipment problems)

That looks normal to me.  Looks like you do an immediate drain to get the first 1/2 of your preboil volume.  If you click on the red box next to mash profile what does it have checked?  Are you batch sparging? 

Go ahead and export your recipe and then attach it to a response.  I'll take a look and try to explain what it's doing based on your mash profile, etc.
Go to your recipe  list, right click the recipe and say export.

Mark

Sorry, I can't find the red box next to the mash profile you referenced.  I am batch sparging.

I've attached the recipe (I think).  Really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• CA Common.bsmx
    20.2 KB · Views: 335
Ok, the problem is in your water volumes tab.  Under Boil and Fermentation, change your Kettle Top Up water from 8 gallons to 0.  You only put a value here if yo top off you kettle when only doing a partial wort boil.  I'm assuming you're doing a full wort boil so put zero here.  You'll probably have to change your original equipment profile too.

A couple of other things you may want to change.  In "Scotts Equipment" profile you only have .75 gallons of boiloff for 90 minutes.  I'm betting it'll be closer to 1.5 gallons so you may want to change it to 1 gal/hour (12.1%).  Also, you may want to put values in loss to trub/chiller and fermenter loss.  I have .25 gallons for each but it would depend on what you saw for previous brews.

Another concern is with your yeast starter size.  Since it's a lager yeast you're going to need a larger starter with just one yeast pack (5+ liters).  I would add two yeast packets unless you have  vessel large enough for a starter that size. 

You may want to decrease your 60 minute hop addition a tad as the high bitterness ratio may cover any maltiness you want.

Overall, recipe looks great!  We did a Common and I loved it!

Mark

Attachments

• scott's common revised.bsmx
    21.3 KB · Views: 223
Can't thank you enough, Merfizle!  Really, really appreciated!

I have the same problem and you help me out!! I haven't had a problem till now! I'm not sure why!!!!!

Dave

Attachments

• My Equipment profile BEERSMITH.doc
    501.5 KB · Views: 229
Back