Author Topic: notes in inventory section  (Read 2460 times)

Offline hoboscratch

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
notes in inventory section
« on: December 15, 2011, 09:32:27 AM »
I like to re-use yeast and think it would be nice to see the ability to add notes to an inventory item. This way I can put down the harvest date, if it was reused once, twice, etc.

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
Re: notes in inventory section
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
Hoboscratch-

I farm yeast and have a similar issue.   There is a field for what you are asking: "Times Cultured".  The problem here is that its a field for the yeast item, not the inventory item.  You can adjust this in the recipe, but I don't see much point in that. 

I've settled on the following workaround:

When I culture, or wash yeast...I make a copy of the original yeast in "yeasts", and change the lab to myself "hampton labs".  Then I increment the "times cultured" field, set the package date, and update the inventory qty.  If I'm reculturing from my own stock I do the same thing.  So, I have one inventory item for each generation I have in the freezer.

When it comes time to prepare to make a recipe, I a)  Copy the recipe to the brewlog, b) Edit the recipe, and change the yeast to one of my generations of yeast from inventory, c) make any other changes before I brew, d) remove recipe from inventory, right before I brew.

It works, and I'm not sure if there really is a better way.  The key point is to always move the yeast through inventory.
R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

modification