• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sugars to boil in mn

Jean-Luc

Brewer
Reaction score
While brewing Belgian styleS I had to add some sugars during the boil.
- Firstly they were included in pre-boil gravity and I could never reach the pre boil OG expected
- Then I rediscovered the "add after boil" option for the sugars which helped me to see a pre boil OG excluding sugar, but IBUs where very affected by this change, the sugars being considered as added AFTER boil and not at the begining.
- Then, talking about this with homebrewers friends, we realized that some add the sugars at the start of the boil, some at the end, maybe others with the fire turned off before or during the whirlpool.

Wouldn't it be great to have a new field where we could tell how much minutes the sugar will boil ? as we do for the hops...
Or maybe just a few choices for the sugars : before boil, start of boil, end of boil ?
Gravity and hop utilization are affected by those amount of sugars depending on when they are added.
Now we have to play with the "add after boil" option on and off to see the values we need...

Back