• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation times

MmmmBeer

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just switched over to all-grain, but i've been extract brewing for 3 or 4 years. I've brewed 6 batches of all-grain now and I've noticed that it seems to be taking longer to complete the fermentation process. Using extract usually took anywhere from 7 to 10 days give or take. With my all-grain batches 4 out of the 5 have taken 3-1/2 weeks so far and they're still going. I haven't taken a gravity yet on any of them as I usually like to wait til I think they're done to minimize any possible exposure to any nasties. Has anyone else experienced this? FYI the beers are Belgian White, Belgian Tripel, Apple Ale, and a Heffe.

Fermentation has not taken any longer after I went AG.

Those are som bigger beers that you have made and a Triple will take longer.  

Did you make starters?

My BW this year was complete in 7 days with a 1400ml starter.

Don

Don,
I didn't do starters this time. Sometimes I do and sometimes for the sake of time I don't. When I don't I go with the extra expense of pitching 2 tubes of White Labs. All of these beers has visible fermentation and crousen with 10 hrs. I also oxygen airate which helps. I've brewed all these beers before with very similar ingredients, o.g's, and fermentation temps. It just seems like these are taking forever. I'm not really concerned about it. I'll give it a couple more days and then rack off to a tertiary ferment. I was just kind of wondering if something could be different when doing all-grain. Thanks for the response!

Mike

Back