• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stop suggesting to update on opening.

Myk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Or make it better at checking so it finds the updates as soon as they're there instead of when it feels like it. I should've got this 2.0.57 notice long before I started brewing.

You hosed me good.
I open up BeerSmith. Start brewing.
Do something that I had to shut down BeerSmith.

When I fire it up it tells me to update. OK, I have time, I'm mashing.

I update. Something happened that caused me to revert to about a month or more ago.
Lost the recipe I'm working on. The last recipe I made. The mash profile I'm using. Inventory.

Now I have to input everything from memory. That's going to take hours and I'm in the middle of brewing!

Checking at closing would be much safer since I'm opening it for a reason.

I'm almost ready to dump 2 and check back in a year or two because of this. I'm not a happy camper right now.

OK,
  I'm sorry you are having problems.  You can check the backup files which are named Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc... as they are automatically saved when you use the program and may have your missing data.

Upgrading the program should not have changed any data as long as you exited the program before upgrading.

I will look at moving the upgrade notice to "on close" instead of on open.

Brad

Too bad I didn't restart it while I was, sparging, coming up to boil or weighing the grains or I would've just told it no.

I'm beyond internal back up files.
It was my first time decocting and had no idea where I was going other than I had decoct to mashout due in 5 minutes, so I put in the backup folder I made when I went to networked hoping it was new enough. It wasn't.
Luckily the backup did have my new equipment tests and I remember the brewhouse and mash efficiencies I got with it. Even if I don't have the actual boil off and trub loss I'm not that much further behind in finding the average than I was.
If it has my new pot it should have all the tweaks I've done to make it work for wine.

I remembered I ran this recipe by a forum so most of the ingredients were close enough to trigger my memory. So with this one it was mainly the mash profile extending the step while I figured it out. It was on saccharification so hopefully it won't hurt anything.

I'll try to remember those if there's a next time but I think I'll be backing up the whole folder more often now. At least before I start brewing.

Back