• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cut and Paste or copy function

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
There must be something I am missing here.  I am looking for the equivalent of a ‘cut and paste’ function for ingredients.  BS2 has a list of ‘standard’ ingredients and their various properties.

Based on the year/harvest and availability at the local brew store what you can get varies slightly.  I want to make a new ‘item’ based on the standard item that is similar.  For example Cascade hop pellets might have a different AA content this year. 

Is there a way to ‘copy’ a standard item, rename it and then only change the few values that may have changed?  Using that approach the ingredients list would start to take on a locality flavor that would help refine/modify existing recipes. 

Try as I might I have not found the ‘cut and paste’ feature.

Any help would be appreciated. 

If you right click on the item you should get a menu that has copy, cut and paste.  Right click on the item and choose copy, then right click on the item again and choose paste.  I just tested it with the hops and it worked for me.

Cheers!
Garry

Thanks for you help.  You are correct -- it works differently than I would have expected. 

The 'cut' works but the 'paste' will only work if you an highlight an item -- any item.  I did not expect to have to highlight the second item.

After it is pasted you have two duplicate items -- my expectation was that there would be some change in item identifier like Windows does with a file paste where it says 'filenameCopy.nnn'

Most likely this is the result of the underlying database and its programming tools -- BS2 just added another data element (row) and did not attempt to provide a unique identifier visible to the user. 

It is understandable from a technical standpoint but from a user standpoint this is an item that possibly needs a bit of refinement in a future release. 

Spent a frustrating morning attempting to cut and paste my recipe so I can email it to my phone. I see there are problems and hope they will be corrected soon.
Tried the following in Windows 7

Highlight list, right click copy, move to gmail,  control V (paste)  and got nothing.

Same as above but attempted to paste into Windows Notepad using mouse and keyboard cut and paste commands-got nothing

So, maybe something can be worked out soon? Pretty basic after all IMHO.
Big Top :(

Yeah, I've been after Brad for the keyboard shortcuts for years.  Not everyone uses the context menus.  I, having been a software developer for over 20 years, am used to the keyboard: arrow up-down to select, Ctrl-C to copy, Alt-Tab to switch window, or Ctrl-Tab to switch tab, then Ctrl-V to paste.

It would be AWESOME if all cotext menu commands had keyboard short cuts. (IMHO)

Beer_Tigger said:
Yeah, I've been after Brad for the keyboard shortcuts for years.  Not everyone uses the context menus.  I, having been a software developer for over 20 years, am used to the keyboard: arrow up-down to select, Ctrl-C to copy, Alt-Tab to switch window, or Ctrl-Tab to switch tab, then Ctrl-V to paste.

It would be AWESOME if all cotext menu commands had keyboard short cuts. (IMHO)

I second the motion.

Scott

As a command line guy, I too agree that keyboard shortcuts would be very handy.  But the reality of the world of the majority of computer users today is that they have no idea what a keyboard shortcut is.  I know that Brad is working on drag and drop functionality.  And if all else fails, we will have to use the mouse and click on the pretty buttons at the top :)

Cheers!

I'm happy to report that the keyboard keystrokes are fixed in the latest beta release.  It should be available to everyone soon!!

Cheers!

Back