• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

DME add to boil for Barley Wine

breibrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I'm adding DME to my recipie to bump up the gravity during a 90min boil, at what point would I add the DME

You can add it at almost any time you want.    The ideal time will depend on the geometry of your brew kettle.    You don't want to scorch the DME on the bottom of the kettle so you may want to add it as the wort is heating up pre-boil.  If you were brewing a lighter color beer you can add DME near the end to try and limit the color impact.  However, for a Barleywine that isn't a concern. 

The other potential impact is on the bitterness.    The gravity of the wort will impact the hop isomerization make sure that your IBU calculations accounts for the gravity of the wort either with or without the DME depending on when you add it to the boil kettle. 

how much dme are we talking here?

if it is several pounds, I would add near the end of the boil. Just to increase your hop utilization.

if it is only a pound or two, anytime is fine.

personally, I add sugar instead of dme, to help dry it out. I don't like real high FG's.

Back