• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Newbie question- adding brew dates

jamieboot

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there guys,

Im on my trial for beersmith at the moment.

I wondered how you add dates for parts of the brewing process such as pitching yeast, racking to secondary fermenter, bottling and setting how long you will age it in the bottle? So far I can only see an option to choose the brew date. Does it just assume you will pitch the yeast the next day, bottle after 2 weeks etc?

Also how do you save different batches of recipes you have brewed?

Thanks

Jamie

You make a custom fermentation profile that represents what you usually do. If life happens and postpones bottling or changes the temperature you adjust it within the recipe to keep a record of what actually happened.

As far as pitching yeast, don't you do that when you brew? If you're talking about a secondary pitch there's a box to check for that if you double click on the yeast in the ingredients list.

To save a different batch you copy and paste the recipe you're making as save it with a different version number or rename it.
I copy out of my tried and true recipe folder, paste that into my To Do folder with different version numbers if I'm doing multiple batches of the same recipe. After I've brewed one I cut and paste it into my brew log.
Once the beer is gone I drag the batch into a year folder in the brew log so I can go back through the years and see what I brewed in previous years to estimate what I'll brew in future years.

OK, i setup a fermentation schedule, thanks for that.

Sometimes I brew late in the day (partial volume boil), add dilution water to the fermenter and then pitch the yeast the next day.

Also, I usually keep it in the primary for two weeks and then bottling but this depends on my schedule- sometimes it may stay in there for upto 3 weeks, so how do i change this in the batch/recipe?

It seems a little counter-intuitive that you cant just add in the racking to secondary, pitching, bottling dates etc individually for each batch

Thanks

Jamie

You set up the profile on the ferment profile tab, not in the recipe.

When changes happen to a recipe (what many insist on calling a batch) you open the recipe up and change it there.
Editing it within the recipe does not change the profile.

There's the button with the titles that lets you select the profile. Next to that is a square edit button.

Back