• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

La Fin du Monde???

I'd start by researching the Belgian Tripel style. In the case of La Fin Du Monde the yeast is the most defining ingredient.

I have been researching La Fin Du Monde and have found this promising recipe.  I have not tried it yet but so far it's my pick.

You might consider this recipe, posted by a well-known and very respected brewer on another forum. If I were going to make this beer, this is the recipe I would use:

La Fin de la Fin

Batch Size (GAL): 5.25 Wort Size (GAL): 5.25
Total Grain (LBS): 14.00
Anticipated OG: 1.0786 Plato: 19.01
Anticipated SRM: 5.1
Anticipated IBU: 24.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar:
10.00 lbs. Belgian Pilsener (71.4%)
1.50 lbs. German Wheat Malt (0.7%)
0.50 lbs. Belgian Aromatic Malt (3.6%)
2.00 lbs. Honey (14.3%)

Hops:
1.00 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet (5.25AA) at 60 min (16 IBUs)
0.75 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet (5.25AA) at 25 min (8.4 IBUs)

Extras:
2.00 Tsp Fresh Ground Coriander Seed Spice at 10 min
1.00 Tbsp Fresh Grated Orange Zest Spice at 0 min

Yeast:
Wyeast 3864 Canadian/Belgian or Unibroue yeast cultured from a bottle

Mash Schedule:
Mash at 150F

Fermentation:
Primary Fermentation: 10 days at 75F
Secondary Fermentation: 21 days at 70F

Anticipated F.G.: 1.011 
/____________________________
The Wyeast 3864 is the actual yeast used to make the original but there is some discussion on whether it's the only yeast.  The flavor profle on unibroue website suggests that it has a yeasty taste so they may use a low floculating yeast for the bottle carbonation.  The website also says it's aged for a loooonnnnng time.

Hope this helps.

There is a clone brew book out there that has the recipe for it. I dont remember exactly what the name is. Its written by a couple who run a home brew shop that specializes in cloning commercial beers. I found many other great beers I want to brew in there as well... I was able to find the book at my local library. Good Luck!

The flavor profle on unibroue website suggests that it has a yeasty taste so they may use a low floculating yeast for the bottle carbonation.

From what I have read about that style it is pretty much standard practice to ferment with one yeast and condition with another.

I borrowed a book from the library, "Clone Brews", the 200 recipes edition.  It has a recipe for La Fin du Monde but it's pretty complex and not a straight forward process.  It's a digital book and if you have a library card you can probably download it.  I use "Adobe Digital Editions" for my reader.  It manages the Digital Rights and it's a free download from the Adobe website.
Hope this helps.

Going to try this one next week. Using Styrian Celeia hops instead because my brew shop didn't have Goldings. It's supposed to be a hybrid between Styrian Golding, Aurora and Slovenian wild hop.

Chas at Tahoe said:
I have been researching La Fin Du Monde and have found this promising recipe.  I have not tried it yet but so far it's my pick.

You might consider this recipe, posted by a well-known and very respected brewer on another forum. If I were going to make this beer, this is the recipe I would use:

La Fin de la Fin

Batch Size (GAL): 5.25 Wort Size (GAL): 5.25
Total Grain (LBS): 14.00
Anticipated OG: 1.0786 Plato: 19.01
Anticipated SRM: 5.1
Anticipated IBU: 24.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar:
10.00 lbs. Belgian Pilsener (71.4%)
1.50 lbs. German Wheat Malt (0.7%)
0.50 lbs. Belgian Aromatic Malt (3.6%)
2.00 lbs. Honey (14.3%)

Hops:
1.00 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet (5.25AA) at 60 min (16 IBUs)
0.75 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet (5.25AA) at 25 min (8.4 IBUs)

Extras:
2.00 Tsp Fresh Ground Coriander Seed Spice at 10 min
1.00 Tbsp Fresh Grated Orange Zest Spice at 0 min

Yeast:
Wyeast 3864 Canadian/Belgian or Unibroue yeast cultured from a bottle

Mash Schedule:
Mash at 150F

Fermentation:
Primary Fermentation: 10 days at 75F
Secondary Fermentation: 21 days at 70F

Anticipated F.G.: 1.011 
/____________________________
The Wyeast 3864 is the actual yeast used to make the original but there is some discussion on whether it's the only yeast.  The flavor profle on unibroue website suggests that it has a yeasty taste so they may use a low floculating yeast for the bottle carbonation.  The website also says it's aged for a loooonnnnng time.

Hope this helps.

Back