• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Good German Ale?

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe for a Germany ale or altbier?

All grain preferred, but if you have a good extract recipe I can always convert it.

Brad   8)

Zum Uerige clone:

All Grain, 1.049, ~60 IBUs
8.5 pounds Weyermann Dark Munich malt
1 pound Weyermann Melanoidin malt
2.5 oz German Spalt pellets (6.0% AA--60 minutes)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Starter of #1338 European Ale

Instructions: Do a single-step infusion mash at 158ø F (any where in the upper 150s will do) for sixty minutes. Sparge to the brewpot and begin the boil. Once the hot break has died down, add all the hops and boil for sixty minutes. With ten minutes left in the boil, add the Irish Moss. Chill, transfer to the fermenter and pitch the starter. Try to keep the primary temperature between 60-65deg F. After primary fermentation is done, rack and "lager" the beer at fridge temperatures for two to three weeks (or as long as you can stand it). Carbonate via your favorite method and enjoy!

Now I go to the Uerige and drink an Alt ;D
Greetings from Duesseldorf
Tibor

Thanks!
 I'll have to give it a try as soon as I get to the bottom of my current keg of Alt (which I'm really enjoying!).

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

I was at their brewery a couple months ago and talked to their brewers.  I can tell you a few things:

1) They don't use Munich or Melanoiden, like most of the so-called clones call for.   They use Pils, Caramel, and Chocolate.

2) They use spalt and hallertauer hops.

3) They open-ferment.

4) Primary fermentation is very fast - about 12 hours.  This is because they pitch at 24º C, and don't bother regulating fermentation temps, so they just go up naturally as it ferments.

1.65 kg of Pilsner Malt
1.80 kg of Munich Light Malt
0.30 kg of CaraPils
0.15 kg of Crystal 40L
0.15 kg of Chocolate Malt
0.75 kg of Barley
0.40 kg of Flakes

540C -- 20 min
650C -- 75 min
710C -- 30 min

15 min boiling without a hops

20g of Magnum 14.5%aa -- 75 min