• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1st AG brew...converting partial recipe

pgleason

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have been a partial mash brewer and decided my last batch was it for the LME, and I am taking the leap to all grain.  However, the beer (super hopped IPA) came out REALLY, REALLY good...like my best tasting (at bottling at least) ever!  So...I want to convert the recipe to all grain, and I am questioning Beersmith's conversion advice.

Typically my "grain bill" is 500g pale malt, 1.5kg LME and 1.5 kg (though I used 2kg this time) DME.  The Beersmith conversion is simply telling me to use 4.5kg pale malt for an all grain brew.  Does this sound kosher? 

If I wanted to continue to use DME, how much would I substitute for LME (e.g. usually buy 1.5 kg tins).

Guess its time to pull out my books and read those advanced chapters I skipped previously!

Thanks.

P
What is your brew size.  I put this grain bill in BS with 5 gal and get an estimate OG = 1.031  Not much of an IPA
I put the same info into a partial mash and converted to grain and got 3.06 kg of grain.

I think you didn't tell us all of the "sugars" in you grain bill.

To do the conversion manually.
You need to compare the potential sugar in each ingredient and with grain you need in include the inefficiencies of the mash and sparge

1 kg LME  =  1.18 kg DME  =  1.67 kg malt (@ 75% eff.)
The LME and DME are 100% effective, for the malt I assumed 80% effective in the mash and sparge.

.5 kg grain + 1.5kg * 1.67 factor  =  3.00 kg grain

10 lbs = 4.5 kg is a typical grain bill for an all-grain 5.00 gal batch.

David

When converting LME or DME to grains, the general rule is 3 units extract to 4 units grains at 75% efficiency. Extract are at 100% they have already been extracted. Depending on how efficient your brew house is you might need a little more or less, to extract the same amount of sugars. I would use 70% as a starting point unless you know what it is from doing partials. I have used this many times while converting a extract recipe to AG with pleasant success. That's the beauty of homebrewing, no boundaries.

Hope this helps and happy brewing
MCB

Great.  Thanks for your help.  Its not my recipe, but one from the boys who make the beer (Yeastie Boys, a great seasonal craft beer enterprise here in NZ), so they would know.  They gave % so you could adjust to any batch size, I suppose.  I brew 5 gallon batches, to the initial grain weight was where I was lost, and BS has a default of 2kg which I know isn't correct but I still haven't figured out how to change it.

The anticipated OG of this beer is 1.069, with a final of 1.015, so it should be a good 7%er.  At their contract brewery it comes out at 77IBU so they tell the homebrewers to aim for 85 for differences in efficiency.

Back