• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add More Water Warning

Hibs06

Brewer
Reaction score
I've just tried to add a step to my mash detail and when I do so it tells me to add more water.  Where am I supposed to add this water to make this warning go away?  Also, I get the same message if I change the grain to water ratio which I need to do.  Can someone please explain where I should be making this water addition?

Also, if I add a step or change my grain to water ratio, isn't this something BeerSmith should adjust automatically in either my initial mash in water amount or my fly sparge amount?  Seems strange this isn't something BeerSmith automatically changes if I make one of the fore-mentioned changes.

Cheers!

I'm hoping Brad Smith can chime in here, but I'm wondering if what I've described above is actually a bug.  In the fermentation tab, if I add a new step, it tells me that I need to add more water under the infusion heading within the step.  However, I'm doing temperature raises and therefore don't have this step selected as infusion but rather temperature.  I believe what is happening is even though I've selected the step to be temperature it's thinking it is infusion.  This may be all a bit confusing, but I'm wondering if I've found a bug...

No one has encountered this themselves...?  Why is it when I add a step or change the step time sometime in the mash details, it tells me to add water?  And where am I supposed to add water?  Isn't that something BeerSmith should calculate for me?

Where exactly is it telling you to add more water?  Maybe you could attach your recipe so we could take a look.

Either way, you can edit all steps in your mash.  If you add a mash step, you have to tell it how much water you are going to add.  Based on this and what temp you want, BS will tell you how hot to heat the water.  You do have to watch your numbers in the mash tab and make sure you are getting your target you want in your boil kettle.  I hope this helps you.  Please let me know if you are further confused or have additional questions.

Cheers

I was having the problem, where BS was telling me that my Pre-Boil Volume was less than my Batch Size and on my brew sheet that I needed to add water to achieve 5gal.

Simple fix, uncheck the Calc Boil Vol. and enter you own Pre-Boil Volume. 

So I've attached a photo of the issue I've been having.  I added the Ferulic Acid Rest and I get the, "Add -1.00 gallons" in the description.  And I changed the step time for Mash Out and I got the line that says, "add 0.00 gallons".  I don't know why it's telling me to do this, or even how to make the changes it wants me to change.  Any help?

glienhard said:
Where exactly is it telling you to add more water?  Maybe you could attach your recipe so we could take a look.

Either way, you can edit all steps in your mash.  If you add a mash step, you have to tell it how much water you are going to add.  Based on this and what temp you want, BS will tell you how hot to heat the water.  You do have to watch your numbers in the mash tab and make sure you are getting your target you want in your boil kettle.  I hope this helps you.  Please let me know if you are further confused or have additional questions.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-13 at 10.43.22 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-13 at 10.43.22 AM.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 372
Under the mash profile box is a small box, what does it say for water needed?

Is this what you're looking for?

glienhard said:
Under the mash profile box is a small box, what does it say for water needed?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-13 at 4.25.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-13 at 4.25.40 PM.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 395
Back