• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

loss to trub/chiller, fermenter loss, racking from fermenter to kegs

repomanz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 15 gal HTL, 15 Gal boil kettle and a 10gallon homedepot mash tun (with false bottom). I'm curious on some losses in my equipment profile.

1) What specifically does the 'loss to trub and chiller' mean?  Is this specific to the loss after it's been fermented and sitting in a carboy?
2) What's the difference between 1) and 'fermenter loss'?
3) How does this all differ when i'm racking from my carboy to the keg?  Where is that loss adjusted at?  I'm assuming in the 'batch size' value i select

Brewing this weekend, please help!.  If you have a similar setup, what values do you have in your equipment profile?

thanks,

JJ

Not sure about your questions but I'm curious about what you mean by 10 gal home depot mash tun with false bottom. I'm looking for a new mash tun. Thanks

Click Help in your equipment profile and it'll show what each field means.

In short, loss to trub/chiller is loss after transferring from kettle to fermenter.  Loss to chiller is for counterflow chillers.

Fermenter losses is what's left over in fermenter after kegging or transferring to bottling bucket. 

Mark

copy/pasted from help.  Maybe I'm being dense.

Losses to Trub/Chiller - The amount of wort lost in the trub or chiller during the transfer from the boiling vessel to the fermenter
Fermentation Loss - Losses to trub and transfers during the fermentation process

summary:
"losses to trub/chiller" is about the loss in the plate chiller and boil kettle (what's left at the bottom). 
So "fermentation loss" is what?  krausen overflowing, spilled beer?  Does this value include left over beer in the bottle of the carboy when racking out to a keg?

Everytime you transfer beer you will get some kind of loss. From the mash tun to kettle, kettle to primary, primary to secondary, secondary to keg or bottle. Plus losses to testing. These losses have to be accounted for. I suggest you do a quick search in the forums for setting up basic equipement. Both Pat and aus_chiller have done great jobs on walkthroughs for this.

I use alot of recipes from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles and all of those recipes are for 6 gallon batches to allow for losses. I always...well most of the time unless I screw up..with at least 5 gallons in the fermenter.

fermenter loss includes the settling out of yeast & proteins suspended durning transfer from the boil.  Dry hopping also acts like a sponge soaking up wort.

Back