• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

problems fermenting

P

paco

hello all,

i am new to this and i have a question.  I have brewed a few beers and they have turned out allright.  But the last two i have tried havent started to bubble out of the airlock.  I believe it was temperature related.  This time i have tried apple cider.  I have Put all the ingredient in the fermenter, and after 27 hours the airlock has not been bubbling yet at all.  Any one have any ideas?  I have cleaned all the equip. with sanitizer, and have kept the temp constant at 26 celsius.  I dont know what the deal is.  I havent done anything different this time than the other times, when everything worked out.

thanks for any ideas
andy

Are you sure your equipment is air-tight? I had a similar problem when I got a new fermentor and the lid didn't seal as easily as my older one.  Once I got used to really cranking it down, I got bubbles again.

Don't panic,
 In a few rare cases it has taken my brews 48 hours or more to start percolating.  Wait and see - it may take off before you know it.

An air leak is also a possibility...

Cheers!
Brad

thanks for the replies.  Just one more question, how can you test to see if the fermenter is airtight?

thanks again
andy

Check the gravity after 5 -7 days and if fermentation has occurred, but no bubbles, then you have an airleak.  Just be mor diligent about closing things tightly.

thanks for that info mate.  If the fermenting has completed without any bubbling action.  It the product still usable/drinkable?  Or is it just waste?

thanks again
andy

Unless it has been contaminated, it is probably OK.  Generally the CO2 blankets the brew for a time.

Heck, try a sample and see if you taste something that is "off flavored" then get back to the forum!!!

Back