• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where to account for HLT water

max42

Brewer
Reaction score
When my HLT drains/pumps into the Mash tun it leaves 3/4 gallon behind.  How do I account for that in Beersmith so that it adds the 3/4 gallon to the water needed?

i batch sparge so im not too sure exactly when fly sparging, but i'm guessing if you go into water volumes there should be a category for sparging loss or something to that nature for fly sparging?

I do not think it's so important to have the exact volume of HLT water register in your software/beer recipe.  For example, when I brew, I make note of the suggested sparge amount in the s/w, then just go ahead and add 1-2 gallons more because (1) you never know when you might need more hot water; and (2) I have a HERMs system and I want the recirc heat exchanger to be submerged in 170F water for as long as possible as I sparge.  What is important is watching the fill line in your BK.

+1 if your recipe totals for say 4 gallons of sparge water, heat up more just to be safe, can't hurt anything..my last brew called for 5 gal of sparge so i heated like 6-7 gallons just in case..i batch sparge so i use a 1 gallon aluminum pitcher to draw from my sparge pot and dump into the mash tun a gallon at a time..

Back