• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refractometer conversion in the tool

breibrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I'm confused about the three Refractometer options in the tool. I'm used to seeing Original gravity (after the boil and cool down) and then usually take Final Gravity after the fermentation before bottling. BeerSmith options are 1. Unfermented Wort Gravity 2. Fermenting Wort Gravity 3. Original Gravity of Finished Beer. Can someone please interpret this for me. Thanks

Although I use BeerSmith for recipe formulation and ProMash for brewing, I'll try. 1. Appears to be what you call Original Gravity. 2. I would say between primary and secondary. 3. Appears to be a typo in the program. I would call this finish gravity.

Looking at the fermintation tab in a recipe appears to agree with this.
Again this is just a guess.
Ed

There is a help article on this, I believe but I'm pretty sure it equates to:

1. Original Gravity. Taken from runnings, pre-boil, pre-pitching... anything prior to fermentation.
2. Anything between OG and finished beer. I use this for checking final gravity readings or anything close to the end of fermentation. FWIW, between my refractometer, hydrometer and BS Refractometer tool, the tool performs the conversion dead on with my equipment. I can check FG with my refractometer only and know that the tool in the software will perform the conversion accurately.
3. Use this to find the starting gravity of a finished beer. If you've forgotten to take the OG of your own brew or you're working out a clone of a commercial product. Using this pull down option with your refractometer AND hydrometer reading will give you an OG for the beer.

Thank you, pcollins. This would make sense. As I said, I don't normally use this tool.
Ed

Back