• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

help i'm in over my head

H

hunter

ok here it is;i was making a cream ale and i steeped barley flakes and rice flaked for one hour did the boil and finished everything as normal,beer is fermenting really well right know.but i just happened to read an article saying none malted grains need to be mashed with malted grains to convert the starches to sugars i did not do that.the rest of the ingrediants was liquid malt ,honey and a little corn sugar.is my batch done before it got started. ???

the article that i read,said you should mash unmalted grains with enzymatic grains to convert the starches to sugar.(i,m not sure what enzymatic grains are).i'm assuming like crystal malt or something like that.

A cream ale's OG usually runs from 1.044 to 1.055...that's OK.

The non malted ingredients have little to no enzymes, but plenty of starches.  Enzymes break/convert the starches into sugars.  The malted grains especially the 2 and 6 row contain enough of these needed enzymes to do the job.  

I did the same thing you did on my first oatmeal stout.  It ended up being very drinkalble.  The mouth feel was a bit heavy for my buddies, but I enjoyed it.

Keep going with what you have.  I'd almost guarantee it to be good.  ::)

ok, sounds good,thanks for the tip,i feel better about it already.

will the starches from rice,flaked rice,flaked barley convert to sugar if i put a little bit of liquid malt in with the steeping flaked grains for the converting enzymes. ???

no,  you need a "base" malt for that like "brewers Malt" or many others.

Fred

oh,ok i'm trying to get around the 11/2 hour drive to get to the nearest brew store that has grains,i'll have to stock up bettter next time i'm there.thanks man :-/

the final gravity of this beer was 1.010 so i don't see how those flaked grains wouldn't have fermented out.i don't think i had enough other fermentables to give it that much gravity.it's like 5.2%alc.seems kind of wierd.i put 2 tbls of vanilla extract in this and i can really taste it ,i hope that smooths out after a little time in the bottles.

i did some math,i was wrong,it was the other fermentables that brought the alcohol up that high. :-[

Back