• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

[Single batch sparge AG] Which mash profile to use?

ipso

Apprentice
Reaction score
There appears to be no mash profile for a simple 5gal AG - single step/temp infusion - single step/temp batch sparge.  A one step sparge, after having emptied the mash tun fully.  I would have thought that to be the single most used mash profile, but maybe not.  I'm simple.

So what mash profile is best for that, and what edits do I need to make to it so that it does not show two batch sparge steps in the report?

I can copy-tweak [Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge], but that always includes two steps, that I’m unable to get rid of when editing the profile via various check boxes - so it seems wrong.

I can copy-tweak [Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash-out] – but that shows “fly-sparge” (which I am not doing) and the sparge volumes are different.  Even if I twiddle with various check boxes, it shows different volumes.

I can guess, using either of those, but that seems to go against the grain of using an application like this instead of a spreadsheet.  So, which mash profile is optimal, and how should I edit it?

(Thank you for your time.  Hopefully this question can help others so they don't have to ask same.  I did a search but was not able to find this info.)

Hope this gets answered as I have exactly the same question.

I haven't tried an all grain batch but will soon.  I have played around with beersmith 2 in order to get familiar with it, but every time, it gives me a two step batch  sparge whereas I don't know why I wouldn't use just one lot of sparge water - I believe my MT size is adequate.

Incidentally,  the first step of the sparge is very small - less than a liter as I recall,  which doesn't seem to make any sense.

Like you, I'm sure I can work around this but don't understand why it is producing these results.

Brian 

First decide the ratio for the mash. 

Then check "Drain Mash Tun before sparging"  This sets the brew steps to batch mode.

You can also check "Use equal sparges" as that will split any sparge water into equal amounts, but it's not going to do anything in this case since you only want a single sparge.

The magic happens when you check "Sparge using batches that fill" and then enter a percentage of the mash tun you want to fill.  Adjusting this amount will decide how many sparges you perform.

Theoretically, you would enter 100% for a single sparge (provided your tun will hold that much water) and taking this percentage down will at some point cause it to split the sparge into 2 or even 3 (depending on the size of the tun).

So you must make sure sure you have your equipment set up properly, and that you are mashing with a ratio that doesn't leave too much water for a single sparge to fit in the tun.

I personally would like the software to have a slection for the number of sparges and it automatically sets the other options.  Because I think most people already know how many sparges they want to perform and just want a quick volume for each.

Homercidal,

Thanks for the tips,  when I try it though I still get two sparge volumes quoted instead of one and I don't understand why.

I haven't actually used the software yet to brew a batch and am just getting familiar with it before I try my first all grain recipe.

I set up a hypothetical recipe that had a grain bill totaling just 11#.

In my equipment profile, I indicated that my MT volume was 37.9L  (ie a ten gallon cooler)

I followed the suggestions in your post.

When I run the brew sheet,  it tells me to use 14L of strike water - which is about 1.34 qt/pound so I guess that is ok.

But it then tells me to do two sparges of  3.6 and 12.62L respectively?

I don't really understand why it is split in two.

If I add up all the volumes and estimate losses due to grain absorption,  evaporation, trub  etc,  overall, the various volumes  it all seem to come out pretty  darn close to giving 5 gallons into the keg,  but why would it tell me to do two sparges?

Surely with only 11 pounds of grain in a 10 gallon MT I would have lots of space to put 3.6 + 12.62 = 16.25L of sparge water in
at one shot?    No?

Could there be some other reason to do it in two sparges?    I'm very much just in the learning mode here!

Thanks again!  .............  Brian

Did anyone figure this out? I am noticing the same issue.

Uncheck the "Use equal sparges", and see what happens.  I think that prevents BS from using a batch volume that is GREATER than the first runnings volume.

Alternatively, increase your strike-water / grist ratio to around 1.65-1.7 qt/lb.

Back