• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Roggenbier body

Myk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Any ideas how to cut the body on a Roggenbier? It pours like oil and although doesn't coat the mouth it feels extremely heavy while it's in the mouth. From what I'm reading this is about par for the course with Roggenbier but I'd like to thin it out as much as possible while still keeping it authentic.

It already has the minimum 50% rye so the most obvious is out.

Ingredients
.25lb Crystal 40
.25lb Chocolate Rye
3lb Munich 10
3lb Wheat
6lb Rye
Wyeast 3068, no starter

Decoction Mash
122° 30 minutes
154° 45 minutes
168° 10 minutes

Carbonation 2.7 vols.

Ferment at 63° - 1 week, raised to 68° - 1 week.
FG 1.014

Because of a BeerSmith crash wiping out my recipe in the middle of brewing the saccharification was extended but I don't know for how long.

Of course dropping the sacc down in temperature as far as I can go would help. I'm considering leaving out the crystal.

I'm wondering if dropping the protein rest to a beta-glucan rest would follow over to the bottle. I'm also wondering if a longer protein rest would help, I was worried about destroying the body while doing it but obviously without reason.
These last two are my main questions.

You could try having your sac rest at 146...and lower the carbonation...other than that...reduce the rye, which i know you don't want to do, or change out your Munich for Vienna or Pils.  1/4lb crystal in that grist bill is not significantly adding to mouthfeel IMO.

Thanks for the input.

What do you think about making it a smaller beer?

Decrease the wheat, munich and rye or add water (there was a ton of trub loss so it could use more in the fermenter) to drop the alcohol about 1%.
More water per rye should thin it out some wouldn't it?

That in addition to lowering the sacc should get it about as low in FG as I can expect.
It goes down very easy as it is and I'm a lightweight so going from 5.5% to 4.5% shouldn't be bad considering it should really go down easy if it wasn't so thick.
The sacc rest change may even bump it back closer to 5% with the ingredient changes.

You can try playing with the water chemisrty to replicate the water from Regensburg.

The drinking water of Regensburg consists averagely of:

- Calcium (90 mg/L)
- Sodium (13 mg/L)
- pH (7,4)
- Bicarbonate (272 mg/L)
- Magnesium (19 mg/L)
- Sulfate (34 mg/L)
- Chloride (38 mg/L)
- Total hardness (3,04 mmol/l CaCO3)

seabeemech1970 said:
You can try playing with the water chemisrty to replicate the water from Regensburg.

The drinking water of Regensburg consists averagely of:

- Calcium (90 mg/L)
- Sodium (13 mg/L)
- pH (7,4)
- Bicarbonate (272 mg/L)
- Magnesium (19 mg/L)
- Sulfate (34 mg/L)
- Chloride (38 mg/L)
- Total hardness (3,04 mmol/l CaCO3)

Thanks for that. I've been looking for a water profile for the style.
But I don't think that would cut the body the high amount of rye causes unless something goes on in the mash the is way above my thinking.

Back