• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 Open Beta for Linux

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
All,
  I just posted the first "open beta" of BeerSmith 2 for Linux.  The initial build is a 32-bit
Debian package targeted towards the popular Ubuntu build (Intel platforms).

Update 27 Jan - I just added the 64 bit Ubuntu package as well so you can run
it on 64-but Debian based platforms.  It is also on the main download page.

The download is on our main download page:
    http://www.beersmith.com/download-beersmith/

It has all of the functionality of the PC and Mac BeerSmith 2 programs.  It does, however
store the data under ~/.beersmith2 instead of the Documents/BeerSmith2 directory
used for other platforms.

I'm planning to submit it to the Ubuntu store in the near future.

Please post major Linux bugs with the beta to this bug thread which I will be monitoring.
    http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6487.0.html

Cheers,
Brad

Hi,
  I just added the 64 bit Debian version for Ubuntu 64 bit to the main download page - so now you have both 32 and 64 bit versions.

I'll take a look at Slackware as well.

Brad

Hi Brad, thanks for the linux version.
I just intalled and its working well so far in Kubuntu (64bit) and debian wheezy (32bit)
I've been using BS under wine, how can I migrate the data (recipes, profile, etc)
The files have the same name, tried copying them, with no luck.
Should I export to beer xml and then import?
cheers
martin

Edit: I solved doing "open file" - "copy" - "paste"  ;D

mebrau said:
Edit: I solved doing "open file" - "copy" - "paste"  ;D

I exported my all of recipes (from the WINE install) to a single BS2.bsmx file, then opened that with the native install.

You have my undying loyalty for creating a native linux client.  Thank you!

If I didn't love you already for creating BeerSmith (which has been the best thing i've done for my homebrew next to understanding how to read a hydrometer correctly) this tops it off.  I moved away from windows years ago, but still had this Virtual Machine HANGIN' AROUND just to run BeerSmith...this has just sealed its fate!

Thanks for the continued development on this awesome product!

**additional note** 

i moved all the .bsmx files to my dropbox, installed the .deb, and just sym-linked .beersmith2 to the new folder location...BAM!  I had all my recipes, ingredients, mash profiles. It was pretty much an awesome day all around for switching over to the linux client.  Rock On!! 8)

Back