• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 for Linux

durrettd

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Thank You! At last I can be free of Windows in VirtualBox!

Is there a way to transfer my data from my windows version to my Linux version?

Dan

Hi,
  In theory at least you can copy your entire Documents/BeerSmith2 directory from your Windows version over to ~/.beersmith on Linux (which will overwrite everything on the Linux side).

You might want to make a backup copy of your Linux directory first in case it does not work out...

Brad

Brad,

It works as advertised.

The old Windows files were in c:\Documents and Settings\myWindowsUsername\My Documents\BeerSmith2. I copied the BeerSmith2 folder into /home/myLinuxUsername/, renamed the original Linux .beersmith2 folder .beersmith.back, then changed the name of the folder I copied from Windows to .beersmith2. For anyone who is new to Linux, please note that in the Linux file viewer (Nautilus) you must select View, Show Hidden Files to see ".beersmith2" (the "." infront of beersmith2 makes it hidden).

All of my recipes showed up, along with the ingredients I had added, customized mash profiles, Inventory, and local water profile.

Nice work! Thanks!
Dan

I was running it under wine and just installed the deb version. Before starting I backed up the /home/user/Beersmith2 dir then did:

ln -s /home/user/Beersmith2 /home/user/.beersmith2

and everything worked fine when I started up the program. This way if there are some issues I can still fall back on the wine version and all my changes will be there. Thanks for the linux binary Brad!

Back