• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extract w/specialty grains recipe

brtisbuck

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,  I/m very new to the forum and kind of new to brewing.  I've been extract brewing for some time.  I've recently started playing with Beersmith and am looking to create my first brew.  This is what I've come up with.  Any guesses on the outcome and advice from those who know more than I is welcomed.  I'm looking for a target IBU of 53, decent hop flavor without being overpoweringly bitter.  Here goes:

5 gallon batch/full boil
Steep 30 min @ 150* : 1# munich
                                    .5# Carastan
                                    .5# Crystal 75

7# light DME

1oz Chinook (11.8%) @ 60
.5oz Summit (15.5%) @ 12
.5oz Willamette (4%) @ 10
1oz Summit @ 0
1oz Willamette @ 0

Yeast: US-05 dry

Dry Hop 5 days: .5oz Summit
                        .5oz Willamette

Est OG: 1.063 (not sure how to account for steeped grains)
IBU: 53
Est FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.4%

On a side note, I took my grain and hop selections from a few  commercial craft brews I like.

I'm new to brewing myself with only 5 brews in the history books and I merely have questions on your recipe.
1) What style are you aiming for?
2) Why a hop addition at 12 and 10 mins?
3) I'm curious what favorites beers you were grabbing from
My latest brew, a brown ale, had steeped grains. Glad I tried it. Will be doing so from now on.

Umm... to answer your questions:

1. IPA
2. Rather than using odd amounts, I adjusted addition times to hit target IBU
3. Some Tommyknocker's brews

Steeping small amounts of grains doesn't seem to change gravity much at all...maybe .001-2 from what I found using hopville calculator.
I read a bit on it in How To Brew (howtobrew.com) and it gives the mashing/steeping #s, which are roughly half the ppg, but didn't change my numbers much at all when I adjusted them (roughly 2 lbs of grains). But maybe that's due to my ignorance.
Is the FG correct? It seems a bit low with a high OG. Figured it would be closer to 1.016-18.

Well, from my understanding munich is a base malt which actually needs to be mashed to convert starch to sugar.  My steeping grains will actually be a "mini mash".

All my numbers came from Beersmith 2 with brewhouse efficiency estimated at 75%.  I built the recipe as an extract, but I'm not sure how to detail a grain as a mash, steep, or extract.  I am under the assumption that a mash is different than a basic steep in what it renders being as that most specialty grain steeps in kits are grains in which the starches have already been converted.  I can't gaurantee they are accurate simply because I am just starting to figure this part out, so I could be mistaken.

Back