• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Alcohol Tolerance of Yeast

MacBraun

Apprentice
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to have the ability to specify the tolerance of yeast.  I know this isn't a common need of beer brewers, but, as a mead brewer, I find it odd to see an estimated ABV of 22.8%.  Especially when using White Labs WLP720, which has a tolerance of about 15%.  I know this isn't an exact science but at least a closer estimate would be nice.  This would also give me the ability to see how much residual sugar my mead will probably have.

Thank you,
Dave

I fully agree. Along with fermentability always being considered to be 100% yeast never wants to stop according to the program. It may not be an exact science but once I'm repeating a recipe I pretty much know how it's going to work. I know my 14% yeast will go 13% in cherries, my 14% yeast will go 16% in cyser with nutrients.

I find the lack very odd in a beer program since many are requiring the beer ends below the yeast's tolerance for carbonation.

I would like this feature as well so I can use yeasts to dial up/dial down alcohol vs. sweetness vs. dryness

In the yeast tab, changing the max attenuation number will change the apparent ABV% prediction.

Back