• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

tracking a batch

kjpetriel

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am very new here, and don't know if this has come up before...
I would like the ability to track a specific batch of beer.
With almost every batch SOMETHING goes not quite as planned... fermentation temp is off...og is off... lost power and crashed temp on primary day 2.. forgot this ingredient or the other..

What I would like is a batch log for each recipe to record the actuals.  I could use it to identify variations caused by mistakes and improve repeatability when it I stumple upon something that works.

I'll second that request.  It would be great to be able to compare/contrast various batches of a given recipe (1:n, recipe:batch).  It seems that a number of data points at the 'recipe' level should actually be at the 'batch' level (OG, FG, anything 'measured'...)  I find myself having to copy recipes, when all I want to do is brew another batch of the existing recipe, just so I can record the new measured variables.

I realize this is an old thread, but it pretty much matches my thoughts as a brewer new to the software and transitioning to all grain brews.

Maybe I am missing something as I am a new user, but I would also like to see some sort of improved features to track actual temperatures, gravities, volumes, etc.  Then I would like to be able to run a report compare the predicted/desired values to the actual values I got when I brewed the recipe.  The software does have mostly what I would like to see.  For example, it gives a spot to put Measured OG and Measured Batch size, and I can see how to use this via the Brew Log, but I don't see a way to run a report or a screen to view the results.

The kinds of things I am looking for could be shown as an additional column in, for example, mash steps.  The recipe says to add xx gal of water at xx F and the predicted temperature would be xx F.  When I did this, my temperatures were low.  I did put this in the notes section, but it would be better to be able to record this as a measured parameter, in my opinion.

Even for the parameters that are tracked as actual vs. Target (OG, Volume) or actual vs. Estimated (FG), I don't see a good way to view or print these in a report format.

I could probably do some of this with a custom report, but I haven't learned that trick yet.

My overall impression of the software is that it is a great piece of work and well worth the small price of admission.  Thanks for a great product.

That sounds good. I think instead of a custom report though, you should use the brew log feature. Though there is no way to generate a report, it could track different mash temp, OG, or whatever. Then you could go back and look at both the original recipe and the one your interested in side-by-side to see what is different.

Back