• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strike Water temp - pre heated mash tun?

Wingeezer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Haven't yet used Beersmith 2, and still getting familiar with it.

A lot of homebrew books I have read talk about preheating a cooler type mash tun before adding the strike water.

Would I be correct in assuming that in providing you with a strike water temp,  Beersmith 2 is assuming that you do NOT
preheat the mash tun?

That's what I am guessing, but I couldn't find confirmation in the help section one way or the other - it may well be there but if so, I missed it!

Any advice appreciated!

Brian.

Beersmith has a place for you to enter Tun Temperature in a couple of locations. Your strike water temperature will be calculated for you.

Thanks for that info -

I guess the easiest then would be just to start with the MT  at ambient temp.  Orherwise if you were to attempt to reheat it, it would be hard to know what temperature you should be using due to the cooler's insulation.

Brian

Thanks    "Doorway," 

I don't have Pro Mash, but have Beersmith2 on my Mac.  by the sounds of things, if I just put in the ambient temperature for my mash tun temp., and the right coefficient for a typical insulated cooler, all should work out ok.

If not, I'll give your method a try ad shoot them numbers to you,  many thanks for the offer!

Brian.

Back