• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

easy belgian wit

A

andrew Clark

Has anybody got an easy to brew all grain Belgian Wit recipe. It is my first attempt at a wit so it needs to be simple.
Regards
Andrew

Andrew,
 Its my favorite stock beer - I have one on tap and one on standby just in case.

Here's the recipe...

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes/recipes/wit.htm

Its about as simple as you can get.  Also - I do not think you really need a two stage mash (which it shows).  Any medium body single step infusion mash will do just fine as long as you use the flaked wheat.

Brad

Hi Brad
Thanks for the recipe. I can't get hold of flaked wheat but I have 3 kilo of weizenmaiz (wheat malt) will this do in place of the flaked wheat and if so what modifcations should be made to recipe and proceedure.
Thanks for your help. I have read so much about this beer and how good it is in summer I can't wait to try it.
Regards
Andrew

Andrew,
 Unfortunately wheat malt and flaked malt are not the same.  Wit derives some of its unique character from the use of a lot of unmalted wheat (usually flaked or torrified).

You can make a Wit with malted wheat, but it won't be quite the same.  I recommend looking for unmalted torrified wheat or flaked wheat if you can find it.  The torrified does require an acid rest, while the flaked can be used without an acid rest.

Cheers!
Brad

Back