• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast flavor

H

hunter

i made a blonde ale a while back and while i was drinking it out of the keg it tasted good real clean taste but i've just started drinking some of the bottles from the same batch and they taste a little yeasty.i've also noticed some bottles from other batches that have a yeasty finish to them as well.will that go away with more time in the bottle.i noticed that one of the first batches i did didn't have that yeast taste and i didn't use as much yeast in those batches,about half as much as i do know.has anyone experienced this in there bottled beer,and how do you get rid of it.i also use dry yeast not liquid. :-/

I just finished drinking a Morgans Blonde in keg in which i used nottingham yeast, Perfect. What was left over not in keg, I put into 2 liter pet bottles and refridgerated it until my keg was down enough to add it. My next brew was Canadian Light which turned out yeasty. I used the nottingham yeast again, and this time the excess went into bottles in which I noticed particles still in suspension after 3 weeks in bottle.I would like to know the answer to your question also.

i had a couple of brews last night and i noticed that the yeast taste was not there.they were really cold, had them in fridge for a couple of days.i keep my beer under the house to age it's quite chilly under there.but i still can't get over how the batches that i only used one packet 7grams,has absalutely no teast taste very clean tasting.i also am finding it odd how in other batche
some bottles have yeast taste and some don't.but it's not that it is undrinkable it's just there you know what i mean. ???

Yeah, can't remember making a brew I couldn't drink. My yeasty light is getting less yeasty now it's 1/2 gone. I've just dropped the temp in my keggerator a bit to see if it makes a difference. The one I have in primary now was pitched with coopers yeast to see if any taste difference between batches. I use about 11.5g of dry yeast rehydrated before pitching 8)

that's what i use is the coopers yeast,i use about 14 grams.i just finished off my canadian blonde :'(.making another one today.hopefully i can let this one age a little longer and see if it makes a difference,i also used some honey and a little corn sugar to keep it light on the last one, so this time it will be all malt that might make a difference as well,we'll see.i just hope it's not to heavy.coopers yeast is all i can get so next time i'm out if town i'm gonna get some different yeast to see if there is a difference,maybe i'll try the liquid yeast,i read on another forum about a brewer that uses the liquid yeast and pitches on the yeast cake three times to keep the cost down because it's exspensive,i might try that.i pretty much brew one beer right after another any way ;D.

I don't use liquid yeast due to the cost and the fact that I don't brew 1 after another, and I might be a month before I brew again. I just pitched into anouther Blonde this past Sunday, but this time I used DME instead of high malt glucose that I had been  using. That should make a difference in taste. This brew I used 2 packs coopers yeast @ 7 grams per pack and it took off in 5 hours dry pitched at 70f. chugging away now at 64f. You can order yeast on-line. I just ordered from a co. in Saskatoon, Canada for yeast not available here in Newfoundland. :)

started my canadian blonde yesterday it was all liquid malt this time used two 7 gram packets of coopers dry yeast.one rehydrated one not,6 1/2 hours later the thing was bubbling already usually it taked closer to 12 hours, then i had to hook up a blow off hose this morning.this is my 7th batch and my first all malt with no corn sugar or honey so i'm excited to see how it turns out.apperently it's supposed to be alot better,my beer has been quite good up till know so we'll see,the hardest part of brewing.....the waiting. :p

Same with me.  My brews are basically the same as yours. I'll have to brew another as my keg is getting low on my light. I'll either brew another light or brew a Morgans lager. I'm begining to think I need more kegs. I have 4 now but I need  6 I think. cheers  8)

are the morgans kits good,what are ones that you have tried if you have tried many.i wouldn't mind trying some different kits but am a little worried,i did one batch with a canadian adventure kit and it kind of sucks,though i am letting it age a little longer see if it get's any better,it has been almost three month's now so i'm not so sure about that one.

I do in the Morgans Canadian series.....Blonde,.. Light,.... and Pilsner,  all with excellent results. I have used with these kits instead of sugar.... hi-malt glucose and dry malt extract (this past brew so I don't really know how it will turn out) . I'm brewing this weekend another Light, this time using 500g DME and 500g Hi malt glucose to see what it turns out like, also I'll be trying the enclosed packs of yeast (I have 2) instead of COOPERS OR NOTTINGHAM. After I brew this LIght I'll be brewing a Morgans Lager to try it out. I have nothing but praise for these kits as I haven't had a bad tasting one yet. My guy at my LHBS tells me not to boil these kits as they are specially kettled and do not require boiling, but just need to be added to boiling water. I add DME/HMG to boiling water( after removing from the heat ) and boil sometimes with extra hops for 10 min. and then add my LME at flameout, cool to 68f with immersion chiller, and then pitch rehydrated (usually) yeast. the Canadian Adventure kit you talk about must be Brew Canada series? I have heard these kits aren't the best. :)

what do you mean by hi malt glucose?what i started doing was buying 2 kits,i can get the coopers kits $25 dollars for 2 kits and i do 22 litres instead of 19 litres,pretty good deal i think.it is the only way i can make an all malt brew without travelling out of town to get what i need.

High malt glucose is a form of sugar that is netural in flavor. I guess it imatates DME in character but ferments out better. The DME would be better for taste but would be heavier than the light beer I brew normaly. It is a common brewing adjunt for kits here in NFLD. to replace corn sugar for fermatables. I have just began using DME instead to improve the taste of my brews. What you are doing sounds good as to using two kits to brew with. I use one kit and extras as one kit here costs $16.50+tax cdn + $11.50 for 1kg DME vrs $4.50 for high malt glucose 1kg. I know the DME has to taste better as it is malt after all. I'm trying a brew with 500g of DME and 500g of high malt glucose this am to try something different. A busy weekend brewing and racking , got to love it.

A rule of thumb,
try to keep you sugars (high malt glucose and others) down to about 10% of your malt bill.  There are exceptions, and this is homebrew, so if you like the results you are getting you are doing just fine.  
Fred

Acually I am pleased with the way my brews turn out using high malt glucose but I want to try to improve my brews and as a lot of people tell me to go with DME to improve the beer, I'm willing to try it. Time will tell. 8)

Was your kegs and bottles stored and cooled at exactly same place and time. I have a feeling that the keg was allowed to be stored at cooler temp for a longer time than the bottles. So would be similar to cold crashing one and not the other, which resulted in the more yeasty flavor. Plus with bottles the yeast does seem to get stirred up slight by just moving the bottles around.

Back