• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

High F.G... Stuck fermentation?

kcreiglow

Apprentice
Reaction score
Can you guys give me a little advise?  My Porter has been sitting in the primary bucket for two weeks.  I checked it today to see about moving it to a keg to condition out for several weeks before sticking it in the fridge to carb then drink.  My S.G. came back at 1.030 my O.G was 1.052.
I feel that's really high and think I must of got a stuck fermentation. This has never happened to me. The yeast took aprox. 24 hours to start.  It started out slowly then picked up but only for maybe 48 hours.  From that point there has been no air lock chamber action and a hardly noticeable kruesen line along the top of the wort line.  I don't believe it's still fermenting.  The recipe stated it would be ready in two weeks.

This is what I'm thinking. Check in two days to see if S.G. changes... I can't image it would.  Or, let it just sit for another couple of weeks then check S.G. to see if it ferments out more.  Or, gently swirl the bucket to see if I can get the yeast up and working again.

Any pointers?

This is some of the specifics:  Porter A.G. Brew in a bag

Brewed 2-7-12

Used Nottingham dry yeast; rehydrated a few hours prior to boil.  Then threw in a few oz. of wort at safe temp to try to get it kick started.

I fermented in my laundry room in a 65-70 house temp for two weeks before popping the top to see what I got.  Tasted good :)

Thanks again,

Back