• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

APA'S SEEM TOO DRY

happy hillbilly

Master Brewer
Reaction score
i'VE BEEN WORKING ON A PALE ALE RECIPE FOR AWHILE NOW THAT WOULD BE MY GOTO BEER. i USUALLY SHOOT FOR 1.050 OR SO O.G. i GENERALLY ROAST A COUPLE POUNDS OF 2 ROW MALT AND MINI MASH IT WITH SOME CARAMEL/CRYSTAL 40-60 AND i LIKE A BIT OF BLACK PATENT(2.5OZ.) i STARTED OUT WITH ABOUT 55 IBU'S (TINSETH) BUT HAVE GONE DOWN TO 35 ON MY LAST TWO BREWS. THIS LAST TIME I ADDED A LB. OF MUNICH TO GIVE IT A MORE MALTY FLAVOR. MY USUAL YEAST HAS BEEN US-05 BUT I TRIED CALI-V ON THE LAST ONE BECAUSE I WAS TOLD IT DIDN'T ATTENUATE SO MUCH BUT ALL THESE BEERS SEEM TO BE TOO DRY IF IT STARTS OUT AT 1.050 IT USUALLY GOES TO 1.008 OR SO. ANY GUESSES?

I like the Fermentis US-05 for the same reasons why you don't.

Perhaps you will like their S-04 for the reasons why I don't.

I usually mash at 153 or so. I tried one of the newer batches today and though it has been in the bottle only a week it seems better than the last batches so maybe the munich malt helped out .

As far as the us-05 goes I do like the way it will work your beer down and I was looking for a more dry finish rather than sweet. But the last few batches of APA were just way overboard. I guess the balance was just off. Too much IBU and not enough malt backbone. thank yall

Back