• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cloudy brew vs gelatin

J

jwhite751

I forgot to add Irish Moss on my last 2 batches so to clear my beer I want to use gelatin. From what I have read I can soak 1 tablespoon in warm water till dissolved and add to secondary a few days before kegging or bottling. I read on another forum that gelatin only precipitates out the yeast in suspension. As I cold condition for 2 weeks would this cause a carbonation problem? Will cold conditioning and gelatin work together to help give me a sparkling clear beer ?

Yes,
 It will help, but I have had better results using Polyclar which is also good for removing tannins that add to cloudiness.

You just add the polyclar to a little cold water and mix it in a few days before bottling.

Cold aging your beer will also result in faster clearing.  Keep it in your refrigerator once it has fully carbonated.

Cheers!
Brad

Back