• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

problem reaching expected final gravity

dwturnernc

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am a new brewer, I have completed 4 batches of extract so far. I have done an English bitter, Chocolate coffee stout, Honey wheat, Black IPA and hit my final gravity marks on all.  They were quiet tasty. I did a Bock 17 days ago. A brew master kit which contained a lager yeast which stated it would ferment at ale temperatures.  I followed the directions to the letter and hit my OG as specified in the kit. I rehydrated the yeast(which was in date) as described on package(which is the only difference from my previous brews) and pitched it at 70 degrees and fermentation temp. ranged from 60-64 degrees. It took about 24 hours for the airlock to show any signs of fermentation activity and signs were present for 5 days however not very impressive. After 10 days I checked the final gravity and it was 1.028.  I got a little worried and sought advice from brewer friends and the local home brew store.  I swirled the primary to get the yeast back into suspension and increased the temperature to 68 degree to see what would happen. No signs of further fermentation has been noted and the specific gravity has been stuck at 1.028 for 6 days. Is the fermentation complete? Should I just sit on it for a couple more weeks and see it the yeast picks back up? Should I repitch another packed of yeast? Or should I lager it for a month, bottle it and drink it? It taste fine a little sweet but other than that it would be drinkable. Any in sight would be welcomed!!!!

;D  I had this same problem a few weeks ago.  I learned from a video on Youtube if your ferment temp changes up and down too much, it can cause the Yeasties to clump up together and fall down meaning they stop working properly.  I use a rubbermaid tub with water about 6" high and a fish tank heater to keep my temps steady.  Works very well in the Winter.  I don't think it would hurt at all to get a new package of yeast to eat some of that sugar you still have.  Hope this helps:D  Here is a very helpful vid  http://brewbeeranddrinkit.com/yeast-attenuation-and-beer-fermentation-problems/

According to Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels, A high finishing gravity is typical of classic bock beers.

Pitching warm and cooling is a risky endeavor.  The yeast not only tend to give off more phenolic and sulfur compounds, lager yeast tend to flake out.  Best bet is to chill it the low 60's and maintain the temp as steady as possible.

You might try adding more yeast but that can lead to a new set of problems. 

Right now, it is more of a traditional bock.  With CO2, it will cut the sweetness a bit.  I would condition and carbonate and go with what I have.

Thanks!! I let the beer sit for a week or so and bottled. It has been in bottle for a couple of weeks and each one taste better as it conditions. Never reached the target final gravity but it taste good. So I guess that is what matters

Back