• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hop garden

piper55

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I know its a little early but does anyone have a favorite place to get mail order hop rhizomes.The moldy messes I got from the local homebrew shop didnt turn out so well

I have gotten them from Northern Brewer and Midwest supply. Have had 100% success with 10 plants in the last 2 years and plan to order another 10 soon to increase my selection and keep me in supply for the long winters.  ;D

Thanks I have good luck with everything from northern brewer . I have chinook and cascade,looking to expand.

Nice. I have Cascade, Wilmette, and Goldings so far. I grow more cascades as I use them in my favorite Ale. I noticed that my latest batch of Cascades were as big as my thumb compared to my originals but they smelled and tasted exactly the same. Must have been the extra horse poop I used:)

Great Lakes Hops.  They sell crowns instead of Rhizomes.  They should grow and produce a crop in the first year.  Rhizomes may not produce a crop until the second or third year.  This from what I read, I have not grown any of my own.

My  chinook did much better the first year I planted in cow manure it loved it. Hoping for a good crop this year

piper55 said:
never heard of crowns I dont know what that is
The hops usually are started from a single rhizome which is just a shoot coming from the main mass, mat, clump of the plant which is the "crown".

picture might be worth a few words:

hop_rhizome_6_yr_old_crown_20_chino_ca_12179717.jpg

crown in the center, w/rhizomes coming off edges.

Wow that is a mature hop vine already! No doubt that it would produce a great crop in the first year. I am on my 3rd year coming up and hope that I get double what I got last year. Also plan to grow another 12 - 15 plants between me and my neighbor.

I had a total of just under 22 ounces last year. I hope to double that this year.

Back