• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

lost all of my recipes

gary

New Forum Member
Reaction score
yes lost all. Could not create a new recipe when i save it could not find it.Read the forms and deleted demo of beersmith2 and also hidden files. I don't know what happen but I think it has to do with
Beersmith2, ever since I installed Beersmith2 I've had this problem with Beersmith1..4. I'm not very good with computers but this should not have happened.
Gary
May not buy beersmith 2
sorry

Gary,
  The two programs are entirely separate - BeerSmith 2 does not touch BeerSmith1's data except to read in the files when you tell it to import your BeerSmith 1 stuff.

The problem is likely a change in user permissions or system settings on your computer (UAC setting is a popular issue for example).  Here are some locations to look for your old BeerSmith Recipes.bsm file.

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory, along with your data files Recipes.bsm, Recipe1.bsm, Recipe2.bsm, etc (the latter are backup files).

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista/Win 7.

Note that on many systems this is a hidden/system directory which will not show up unless you go into the options for Windows file explorer and set it to show hidden/system files.

Cheers,
Brad

You are probably right, but when I removed beersmith 2 I was able to use beersmith 1.4. Also I was able to input all of my recipes from paper print outs that I ve used over the years.
thanks for the reply
Gary

Back