• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling Stout???

Moobesor

Apprentice
Reaction score
Thinking about brewing a stout yet I wonder if it will perform well after bottling?  I've brewed a cream ale, a wheat, and an Amber.  All came out great.  Now I would like to do a stout (my favorite beer) and I'm concerned how it will taste bottled considering nitrogen widgets or balls are not available to the home brewer.

Also, greetings to all brewers!

It'll be great.  Personally I don't like the nitro widget stouts.  I like Guiness just plain carbed.

For some reason I thought I heard it would be flat tasting or appear flat.  Perhaps it would resemble Guinness Extra Stout?

CO2 does produce a different experience than a Nitrogen CO2 mixture, but stouts taste just great bottled and carbonated.  Few homebrewers have a nitrogen set up.
I have brewed multiple stouts and love them bottled.  Personally - I lean toward the lower end of carbonation for stouts...

I think nitro widget stout seems flat.

I recently purchased a Blichmann Beer Gun so I could bottle keg carbed brew.  I was very happy with the results.  I imagine doing the same with a co2/ nitrogen mix should be just as simple.

Back